"Expressing the dramatic rhythm of life today with plastic elements which ought to be the formal synthesis of man’s actions in contact with the mechanics of this society"
After completing his studies at the Liceo Artistico in Palermo in 1938-1941, Pietro Consagra received a scholarship for the Academy of Fine Arts of Palermo. He moved to Rome in 1944, where he started to work in Guttuso’s studio and met Dorazio, Perilli, Guerrini, Turcato and Accardi, with whom he founded the "Forma" group in 1947. In the same year he organized the first post-war abstract art exhibition at the Art Club in Rome. During the same period he held his first solo exhibition at the Galleria Mola in Rome and taught at the Art School in Rome. In 1948 he took part in the Salon des Realistés Nouvelles, Paris. In 1949, together with Arp, Brancusi and other artists, he participated in the exhibition held in the gardens of Palazzo Venier dei Leoni, Venice, where Peggy Guggenheim purchased one of his large-sized works. He exhibited for the first time at the Venice Biennale in 1950 (and also in 1952, 1954, 1962, 1964, 1982), and with personal rooms in 1956 (he received the Einaudi Prize), in 1960 (I Prize for Sculpture) and in 1972. In 1967 he lived for a year in the United States, where he taught at the School of Art in Minneapolis and took part in solo and group exhibitions in New York and in Canada.
Among his most important group exhibitions: Palazzo Reale, Milan 1951; "Italian Artists of Today", Goteborg, Helsinki, Oslo, Copenhagen 1951; Tate Gallery, London 1952; São Paulo Art Biennial 1955, 1959; International Exhibition, Pittsburgh ("Honorable Mention", 1958); "II Documenta", Kassel 1959; Louisiana Museum, Humlebaek, Denmark 1961; "International Exhibition of Sculpture", Hakone Open Air Museum, Japan 1969; Musées Royaux des Beaux-Arts, Brussels 1973; Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York 1987.
Among his major solo exhibitions: Palais des Beaux-Arts, Brussels ("Prix de la Critique", 1958); World House Gallery, New York 1958; Galerie de France, Paris 1959; Galeria Bonino, Buenos Aires 1962; Odyssia Gallery, New York 1962; 1965; The Pace Gallery, Boston 1963; Galleria Marlborough, Rome 1966, 1974, 1976; Galleria dell'Ariete 1965, 1967, 1969, 1971; Museo di Castelvecchio, Verona 1977; "Festival dei Due Mondi", Spoleto 1979; Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Moderna, Rome (1989; permanent room, 1993; 2000); Hermitage Museum, St. Petersburg 1991; Palazzo di Brera, Milan 1996; Darmstadt and Marl, Germany 1997-1998; Galerie der Stadt, Stuttgart (permanent room, 2000); Palace of Arts, Cairo 2001.
His works are held in some of the most important museums in the world, such as: Galleria Nazionale di Arte Moderna, Rome; Guggenheim Foundation, Venice; Centre Georges Pompidou, Paris; Tate Gallery, London; Musée Royal des Beaux Arts, Brussels; Hermitage, St. Petersburg; MOMA, New York; University Art Gallery, Yale; Hirshhorn Museum, Smithsonian Institution, Washington; Art Institute, Chicago. His works are exhibited in many public spaces, including: Ministry of Foreign Affairs and National Library in Rome, Piazza Duomo in Milano, numerous works in Gibellina, Trapani, Seoul Park, Korea and the European Parliament, Strasburg. He arrived in Versilia in 1972, where he periodically worked at the Studio Sem, Pio Rossi, Blasco Pellacani and Art Marmo laboratories and at Fonderia Tesconi. He took part in several group exhibitions, including two editions of the Biennale di Carrara 1965, 1996.