“Painting or sculpting, to be complete. Paiting and sculpture allow doing, even though remaining alone. Without losing integrity”
Jean Robert Ipoustéguy
Jean Robert Ipoustéguy moved to Paris with his family in 1938. He attended evening courses at Robert Lesbounit’s studio. He was mobilized and posted to Dijon in 1939 and returned to Paris in 1941; however, he left secretively to escape the S.T.O. and was recruited at a military base in Bourdeaux. In 1946, during military deferment, he won I Prize in the drawing section of the "Concours Général". In 1947, he turned to sculpture and in the meantime taught Drawing at the Issy-les-Moulineaux School.
In 1948, he settled at the Le Noble ceramics studio in Choisy-le-Roi, where he lived and worked until his death. He participated in his first group exhibition in 1951, followed by the Salon de la Jeune Sculpture, Salon de Mai and Réalistés Nouvelles in Paris, from 1956 to 1967. In 1961, he took part in the VI Biennial at Middelheimpark, Antwerp, and exhibited his works at the New York-Rome Foundation, Rome and at the Carnegie Institute, Pittsburgh. He organised his first solo exhibition at the Galerie Bernard, Paris in 1962 (followed by others until 1982) and then he left and visited Greece. He took part in the XXXII Venice Biennale in 1964 with his own personal room and was awarded the Bright Prize. In 1968, he held a solo exhibition at the Galleria Galatea in Turin, followed, in 1971, by exhibitions at the Galleria Forni in Bologna, the Gabbiano in Rome and Centro d'Arte in Palermo. These are the only solo exhibitions held in Italy, whereas he took part in several group exhibitions.
Among his other expositions: Biennale of Tokyo and of Sao Paolo 1965; International Sculpture Exhibition, Guggenheim Museum, New York 1967; Second International Modern Sculpture, Hakone Open Air Museum 1971; 4th International Contemporary Sculpture, Musée Rodin, Paris 1971; Centre George Pompidou, Paris 1976, 1977; retrospect, Parigi 1978; Kunsthalle, Berlin (1979, on this occasion he receives a commission for the Congress Centre, "L'homme costruit sa ville", the largest sculpture of the 20th century, 7x20x4,5 m; 1992; anthological exhibition, Musée d'Art Moderne, Paris 1982; Bar-le-Duc 1998; Chelsea, England (1999, organized by the Royal British Society of Sculptors).
In 1982 the French Embassy in Washington installs "A la lumière de chacun" for the Bicentennial of Independence of the United States of America. In 1988, commissioned by President Mitterand, he created a monument dedicated to Rimbaud (Teilhard-de-Chardin, Paris), and in 1989 for the Bicentennial of the French Revolution he created “À la Santè de la Révolution" for the Bagnolet district. Amont the numerous awards received: Kunstpreis der Stadt Darmstadt 1968; 1st Prize at the International Sculpture Biennale in Budapest 1973; Grand Prix National des Art et Lettres by the French Minister for Culture and for the Environment 1977; Medal from the French Acadèmie of Architecture France 1988.
His works are also exhibited in the permanent collections of the Guggenheim in New York, the Tate Gallery London, the Museum of Modern Art in Paris, and the Victoria Museum in Melbourne.
In 1964 he began his collaboration with the studio Nicoli of Carrara, where he returns periodically for his activity. He also works at A.M.A., Henraux, Giuseppe and Ulderigo Giannoni laboratories, and at the Fonderia Tesconi. He participates at "Il passato e la presenza" 1982-1983, Centro Culturale L. Russo, Pietrasanta; "International Sculpture" 1986, Malaspina Castle, Massa; 10th International Biennale, Carrara 2000.