“Art is just the diary of a generation”
Arturo Carmassi was born in 1925 and in 1930 he moved to Turin with his family where he studied (attending courses at the “Scuola del paesaggio Fontanesi” and at the Accademia Albertina) and worked until 1952. after travelling in Europe and working for a time in Paris, he moved to Milan where he met Gino Ghiringhelli, owner of “Il Milione” Gallery who became his dealer and in 1956 he set up a studio in Via Andegari. The following year his work was acclaimed in important exhibitions abroad: at the Brooklyn Museum, New York, the Sculpture Biennial in Antwerp and the “Junge Italianischen Plastik” in Darmstadt and Dusseldorf. Halfway through the fifties, Carmassi develops a strong interest for sculpture and in the decade that goes from 1955 to 1965, he started to spend more time working as a sculptor, until settling in Liguria, in Bocca di Magra, where he set up a large sculpture studio and created large-sized works that three years later will see him protagonist with a a personal exhibition hall at the Venice Biennale. In 1966 Carmassi makes a trip to Brittany. In this period he left Milan to retire to the Tuscan countryside, at Torre di Fucecchio, between Florence, Pisa and Lucca, where he is currently living.