“The Pietrasanta craftsman is an essential figure in the artist’s work, using his expertise and skills to transfer the idea conceived by the artist to the material”
After completing his studies at the Technical Institute of Viterbo in 1956, Claudio Capotondi studied at the Scuola Superiore d’Arte of Rome in 1958, and attended the Scuola Libera del Nudo in 1963, year in which he held his first solo exhibition at the Libreria Terzo Mondo, Rome. He took part in the Gruppo Girasole of Rome from 1964 to 1967, year in which he received a scholarship from the International Academy of Salzburg. In 1969 he was invited to the International Symposium of Lindabrunn, Austria, and then held a group exhibition at the Secession Art Museum in Vienna. He received mention in the “Bolaffi Scultori Italiani” Catalogue 1972, 1977, 1984 and the Premio Michelangelo, Città di Carrara 2000. He has lived in Rome from 1962 to 1999 and New York from 1984 to 1989 and now resides in Pietrasanta where he personally creates his own sculptures.
Among his main solo exhibitions: Galleria Due Mondi, Rome 1971, 1976; Galleria Palladio, Vicenza 1979; Galerie Marbach, Bern 1980; Alvar Aalto Museum, Yvaskyla, Finland 1980; Vorpal Gallery, New York 1984; Museo, Rocca degli Abornoz, Viterbo 1988; “Forme nel Verde”, Horti Leonini, San Quirico d’Orcia 1993; Galerie La Decouverte, Paris 1995; Galleria Fondazione “Anna Lucco”, Turin 1997; Spazio Opra and Via Minervio, Spoleto 2002; Galleria Comunale, Tarquinia 2002.
He has taken part in many group exhibitions, such as: Pinacoteca Civica, Lissone 1965; Palazzo delle Esposizioni, Rome 1965; 2001; Palazzo dei Diamanti, Ferrara 1966; travelling exhibition of the Rome Quadriennale d’Arte in the museums of: Palazzo Reale Milan, Buenos Aires, Montevideo, Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo, Mexico City, Tokyo, Osaka, Hakone 1971-1976 and Toronto, Cologne, Stuttgart, Bonn, Hamburg, Tel Aviv, Algeri 1983; Civic Museum, Gallarate 1979; Villa Florio, Sommacampagna, Verona 1984; State Tretyakov Gallery, Moscow and Central Room, Leningrad 1989; Park Abbe Froidure, Brussels 1994; Tribeca Fine Arts Gallery, New York 1999; San Giovanni in Persiceto, Bologna 2000; Florida International University, Miami, Florida 2002; Museo Crocetti, Rome 2006.
His works are held in many public collections, such as: “Giosué Carducci” School, Piacenza 1968; “Via Rosano” School, Pontassieve 1968; Steinbruch Park, Lindabrunn Museum, Vienna 1969; “Giosué Carducci” School, Modena 1975; “Lucrezio Caro” School, Villaggio Olimpico, Rome 1975; Alvar Aalto Museum, Yvaskyla, Finland 1980; Zoological Park, Benghazi, Libya 1981; Eurogarden, Terme di Caracalla, Rome 1983; Consiglio Regionale del Lazio, Rome 1990; Grand Hotel Duca d’Este, Bagni di Tivoli, Rome 1992; Piazzale Murialdo, Viterbo 1992; San Quirico d’Orcia, Siena 1993; New Police Headquarters, La Spezia 1994; Charlotte Latin School and UNCC University, Charlotte, United States 1995; Ooya Museum, Utsonomiya, Japan 1996; Presbyterian College, Clinton, SC, United States 1996; Wingate University, NC, United States 1998; A1 Roma Nord Motorway, Fiano Romano 2000. He was worked in Versilia since 1973 at the Henraux, Studio Sem, F.lli Galeotti, Bottega Versiliese, Aldo Pesetti and Massimo Galleni laboratories and at the Mariani, Versiliese and Da Prato foundries. He has taken part in many important group exhibitions and held a number of solo exhibitions: Galleria Atelier, Carrara 1996; Palazzo Mediceo, Seravezza 2005; Open One, Pietrasanta 2005; Chiostro di S.Agostino, L. Russo Cultural Centre, Pietrasanta 2007.
The photographs published in the TimeLine were taken from the Artist’s website www.claudiocapotondi.it