- Born in Turin, Italy in 1902
- Died in Turin, Italy in 1946
- Nationality: Italian
He grew up in a family closely linked to the artistic environments of Turin. His uncle was Cesare Reduzzi, a well-known sculptor and representative of the Piedmontese Liberty style.
He trained mainly in workshops and through everyday practice at the sculpture laboratory set up by his father in Querceta after 1915 and which he inherited at his father’s death (1924). He continued the relationship of trust with Edoardo Rubino previously established by his father. Rubino entrusted him with the creation of his works, such as the enormous plaster model “Vittoria”, a bronze statue commissioned by the Agnelli family and erected on Colle della Maddalena in Turin. A laboratory was specifically set up in Turin which even the workers from Querceta moved to.
At the same time he continued his activity as sculptor by carrying out portraits and religious subjects. In 1926 he was appointed “Cavaliere” and then “Ufficiale” in 1938.
In 1930 he moved permanently to Turin together with his family. He divided his busy life between Rubino’s studio and his own studio in Turin, and the laboratory in Querceta until 1943.
After the “Monumento al Carabiniere” for Rubino, he took part in competitions during the 1930s and participated in the Promotrice delle Belle Arti of Turin in 1936. He started to work with sculptors such as G. Cellini, G. B. Alloatti, F. Sassi, E. Musso, M. Malfatti, E. Tinto, U. Tirozzo, A. Campi and others. In 1941, again for Rubino, he created the “Monumento a Pius XI”, commissioned by Pius XII. In 1943, after the outbreak of the war, it became increasingly more difficult to reach Tuscany and in 1944 he sought shelter in Bozzole (Alessandria) with his entire family. He still had contacts with Rubino and together they worked on the enlargement of the models for the bas-reliefs of the “Pala d’Altare a Don Bosco”. He also taught drawing. In the meantime, he was commissioned some works for the Church of Bozzole – a bronze “Crucifix”, two statues (“Fede e Carità”) and a lunette (“Adorazione”) for the façade – and for the Church of Villabella (“Martirio di S.Agata”, bas-relief). In May 1945 he resumed contact with the laboratory in Versilia, which had been damaged during the war, and with the craftsmen who had continued to work there: Giulio Buratti, Dino Dalporto, Orazio Tarabella and Mazzei. They were working on the execution of a bust of Giovanni Agnelli. Meanwhile Dalporto and Tarabella moved to Bozzole to work on his sculptures for the church. Unfortunately Luciano died in 1946.
His works were displayed in the exhibition “Opere monumentali di Rubino e Calandra” held at the Maquettes Museum 2 in Pietrasanta in 2002.